Students, staff, parents and friends are invited to join the fun as we begin the 3rd Annual Morning Marathon Club! We will meet before school, Mondays through Fridays on the high school track to walk/jog/run supervised ¼ mile laps. Our first day will be March 18, 2013. We will NOT meet March 20, March 29, and April 1, due to no school on those days. Mark your calendars for our celebration day on the morning of May 18, 2013!
Miles will be collected individually for every participant. The first day each student participates, s/he will receive a MMC wristband. After 10 days of participation, each student will receive a roll up water bottle! Each student reaching the 26.2 mile Marathon level (105 laps) will receive an additional award at our celebration on May 18! Also, each participating student will get FREE entry into the 5k/Fun Run on May 18!
The main goal of this program is to give each participant a positive start to the day and establish a routine of exercise and a healthy breakfast. This will help them build confidence and self esteem that comes from setting goals and crossing the finish line. Lace up those running shoes and let’s get moving!
Some specifics about the Morning Marathon Club:
- Each student who participates must have a signed permission form. Form must be turned in to Mrs. Rischling before participating – just bring it to track!
- Students in first grade and older may run unaccompanied. Kindergarten students need a parent with them for the first week.
- Students must check in at the base of the “home bleachers” on the High School Track before they can count laps!
- Primary and Middle School students may begin any time between 7:15 and 7:40. No runners may begin after 7:45. Parents and Staff are welcome (and encouraged!) to join in!
- The track will be supervised daily by Parent Volunteers.
- Students will be given a card at the completion of each lap, then turn in their cards when they are done each day. This will allow tracking of laps/miles.
- Comfortable school clothes and sport shoes are appropriate for running.
- Students may bring a snack for “refueling.” Water and a breakfast type bar are appropriate. Please be sure to finish the snack before school starts and dispose of trash properly.
- In case of bad weather, the day’s run will be automatically cancelled. Listen on KCSR (610 AM and/or KQSK (97.5 FM). I will also try to send an email by 6:45a.m. General guidelines for cancellation will be wind chill below 25 degrees, rain, snow, or wind gusts over 35 mph.
- This program relies on a large number of parent volunteers. We need you! It’s a great way to start the day with your kids! If you have questions or would like to volunteer please contact Linda Rischling @ 430-4122.
- Permission Slips can be picked up in the MS office.
Submitted by Mrs. Rischling 3/19/13